Monday, March 2, 2015

Modern Family Goes Apple

Last week's Modern Family episode was filmed entirely using apple products. The episode took place from the screen of Claire's Mac Book. The episode featured FaceTime conferences with the rest of the family, scrolls down Claire's Facebook wall, and iMessage chats between the characters.

While watching the episode, I couldn't help but feel that it was just a super extensive Apple commercial. I like the uniqueness of the concept, however, I felt that the show was shoving Apple down my throat. Also, the rapid shifts from different media sources proved to be nauseating when watching the show on a large screen.

I would have liked the episode more if the FaceTime clips would have switched to take up the whole screen while the characters where communicating. Instead, Claire would be doing other things on her desktop while the video only took up a small portion of the screen. I found this to be distracting. Had Claire not been multitasking so frequently, it would limited the amount of stimuli that the viewer was forced to take in while watching the episode.

Overall, the episode had themes of technology complicating our lives. On one hand, it showed off all the cool things that you can do with Apple products. But on the other hand, it showed how in the end, the technology only caused unnecessary drama. I think that the writers meant this as a commentary on our society's internet habits.

Source: (x)

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I love this show. It's our favorite one. This episode was hilarious. We laughed so hard. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete