Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Binge Watching "Weeds"

At the request of my friends, I spent the last few weeks binge walking the Showtime series, "Weeds." Weeds is about a recently widowed suburban mom who becomes a drug dealer in order to support her family. The show focuses around around Nancy, her sons Silas and Shane, and her brother in law Andy.

At first, I was hesitant to watch the show, but after a few episodes I was hooked. I was completely attached to the characters, and I had to see it through to see if they ever solved all their problems. Of coarse, that never really happened. Just when you thought that Nancy couldn't get her family in any more trouble she would get involved with yet another gang that wanted to kill her.

The first couple seasons are no doubt the best. I like the dynamic of the show when the family lives in Agrestic. When they move away, the plots become more and more intertwined and more and more unrealistic. However, the characters are so lovable that you continue to watch.

As the show progressed, I found myself getting annoyed with Nancy as a character. It is completely her fault why the family wound up where they did. She would always comment about how she had no other choice but to be a drug dealer, but she had dozens of opportunities to get out throughout the series.

Andy and Silas were often the only shining light in the plot lines. I could always rely on them to make the episode funny and entertaining with all Nancy's drama spiraling around them. My biggest disappointment in the series is how Shane turned out. He seemed have got the brunt of Nancy's mistakes. While Silas and Andy were resilient and were able to bounce back, Shane seemed to fall further and further into the abyss.

At the closing of the series, I found that the finale wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be. I think that it focused too much about unimportant characters. It attempted to bring back nostalgic feeling from all the seasons past, but it dropped the ball on a few key characters. It may have been due to availability, but there were some actors that didn't come back that I really would have liked to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment